North Korea accuses Biden of pursuing 'hostile policy'

Sunday, May 2
NORTH KOREA

North Korea says US President Joe Biden made a "big blunder" by calling Pyongyang's nuclear program a serious threat to American and global security.

The chief of the North Korean Foreign Ministry's US affairs department, Kwon Jong Gun, made the remarks in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency on Sunday.

This comes after Biden presented his foreign policy towards North Korea in his Congressional address last week.

The statement says the US has been posing a nuclear threat to North Korea.

It says the US calling the North's deterrence for self-defense a threat is an encroachment upon its right to self-defense.

The official said now that the keynote of the new US policy on the North has become clear, his country will be compelled to push for corresponding measures. He warned that the US will find itself in a serious situation.

North Korea also reacted to US State Department spokesperson Ned Price's accusation that Pyongyang is taking increasingly draconian measures to tighten control of its people under the guise of fighting COVID-19, including shoot-to-kill orders at the border with China.

A North Korean foreign ministry spokesperson said in a statement that the accusation is a violation of the country's state sovereignty.

The statement says that insulting the dignity of the "supreme leadership" is a sign that the US is preparing for an all-out showdown with the North. It warns that the US will surely regret such an action.

Source: Newsday/NHK/France 24



(Photo: Kim Won-Jin/Getty Images)