George Floyd’s family receiving $27 million settlement

Friday, March 12
USA


Minneapolis has agreed a record $27 million settlement with George Floyd’s family to resolve the lawsuit filed against the city and four cops involved in his death, the New York Post reported.

In announcing the outcome, the Floyd family lawyers called it the largest pre-trial wrongful death settlement in US history. 

A portion of the funds, $500,000, will be returned to the neighborhood where Floyd was arrested — and where bystander video showed cop Derek Chauvin pinning him by the neck to the pavement. 

“Had the officer de-escalated the situation, we’re not here doing this press conference — George is still alive,” Floyd’s nephew, Brandon Williams, told reporters. 

“We’d give the settlement back gladly to have George with us.” 

One of the Floyd family lawyers, civil rights attorney Ben Crump, said of the settlement: 

“George Floyd’s horrific death, witnessed by millions of people around the world, unleashed a deep longing and undeniable demand for justice and change. 

“That the largest pre-trial settlement in a wrongful death case ever would be for the life of a black man sends a powerful message that black lives do matter and police brutality against people of color must end.” 

The lawsuit — filed in July 2020 — named as plaintiffs the city and police department of Minneapolis along with Chauvin and the three other cops at the scene, Tao Thao, Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Keung. 

The three will be tried separately from Chauvin on charges of abetting second-degree murder. 

Friday’s settlement will be paid out of the city’s self-insurance fund and other reserves, City Coordinator Mark Ruff told reporters. 



Bridgett Floyd (right), sister of George Floyd, speaks to the media outside the Hennepin County Government Center. EPA

Meanwhile, jury selection in Chauvin’s murder trial goes on in a Minneapolis courtroom; a seventh juror out of the 14 needed was picked Friday. 

The jury so far is composed of two women and five men. 

One of the women is multiracial and in her 20s. 

The other woman, who is white and in her 50s, told the court before she was chosen Friday, “Not all police are bad, but the bad-behavior police need to go.” 

Of the men selected to serve on the jury, three are white, one is black and in his 30s and one is Hispanic and in his 20s.